One of the hardest parts about a long distance move is packing up all your belongings. Not only can this be time-consuming, it can also take a lot of planning and organization. This is especially true if you are packing for a large household. You don't want anything to get broken and you want to be able to find everything easily when you reach your new home. To help you out, here are three packing tips for that long distance move.
1. Pack Your Belongings in Cardboard Boxes
You might be tempted to use a variety of different kind of containers when packing up your belongings but you should stick to using cardboard boxes. There are many reasons for doing so including the following:
- They stack easier than plastic totes and take up less room in the moving truck
- They can be reused and recycled, plus cardboard is a biodegradable material
- They are durable and strong but also light enough to easily pick up and carry
Besides the above reasons, cardboard boxes come in a variety of different sizes so that you can conveniently pack all of your personal belongings, including your larger items.
2. Pack Your Belongings As Tightly As You Can
If you're using cardboard boxes to pack, you don't want to just throw in your belongings, stuff a few newspapers in and call it good. You'll want to make sure to pack things as tightly as possible, especially fragile items.
There are also certain types of materials that work better than newspapers to help protect your belongings, such as bubble wrap and packing paper. You can even use blankets and towels. In order to further protect your belongings, you may want to get a moving insurance policy.
3. Hire Packing Services to Pack Your Belongings for You
If you're completely overwhelmed by the amount of packing you need to do for your long distance move, and you have no idea how you're going to get it all done, it might be beneficial to hire professional packing services. Some benefits of hiring packing services include:
- You won't have to buy your own packing supplies
- They can do your packing quickly and efficiently
- They will keep your belongings organized
- They can disassemble your furniture for you
One more benefit of hiring packing services is that by having someone else do all the lifting, you can protect yourself from straining your back or getting any other type of injury.